Monday, October 8, 2012

Call me....Patrick

I should have done this about two years ago. But here it its, the Better late than never graffiti project blog! Woo! Can you tell I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a title?

I put a no effort into the title, nor the URL, because my thinking behind this blog is such: While I spend an inordinate amount of time parsing the words and phrases of what will be my thesis about graffiti murals, and will be thrilled to share it when it is done at the end of the year (after two years!), I also need an outlet to just share things on a whim when the thesis is complete, and I'm still snapping pictures of random fire hydrants, stickers, shadows, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Thus, the title. The URL? That's just for this guy, who is the embodiment of what would happen if a live person actually encountered the Simpsons, which it should be noted is the best show EVER.
Frank Grimes, a/k/a "Grimey"
"Grimy" (Yes, I know it's a different spelling) is also a great catch-all for things I'm interested in, be they graffiti, urban spaces, architecture, crumbling infrastructure, and it was available. Remember the part about this being thrown together on the fly? Righto.

Anyway, here's where I'm at right now. I had ten chapters of my thesis done when I started this semester, and I had five more to go. This semester, I've already rewritten the first ten chapters, incorporating ideas from David Harvey's Rebel Cities (I'll get to that some time in the future) and just last night, I finished the case study for Trenton, only 10 days late. Woo!

With that time frame in mind, I'll leave you with an image from my visit there that may not make it into the final thesis, even though it really kicks ass. A big shout out to Leon "Rain" Rainbow of the S.A.G.E. Collective for showing me around that fair burg last year. This was on North Clinton Ave., about a block south of Olden Ave.
There's a lot more where this came from. Please do stop by again; I'll be sure to make it worth your time.

Cheers!
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment